Friday, January 28, 2011

Your choices, your rules

As I lay here waiting to fall asleep, I have so much on my mind. It will not stop racing long enough for me to think or focus on what I need to. Today, or yesterday, was one of those days where it was just quite good. It was ok but everytime it started to creep above that, something/someone tried to steal it away. None the less it was ok.

I try to focus on the good parts of the day... I was able to read applications from home this morning before head to Boston to meet with the ladies of Girls Preparing to Succeed. I love working with these young ladies as they explore their interest in college and life in general. It is a small group but I love it because they do not hold back. I try to make it as open as they need it to be to get my message across and their questions anwered.

We spent the afternoon talking about the college process. Where do they start? How do they start? Being encouraged through it all. It breaks my heart to hear what some of these young ladies go through. Though I have been there myself, I know the pain and the struggle. I also know the struggles they will have as they try to move up and achieve their goals. Regardless of what we talk about, I make it a point to encourage them, compliment them and be candid with them.

There are so many things/people in the world, in their own worlds, that hold them back. They all have the potential to achieve their goals. We talked about making choices that fit their needs and goals. They do not have to path of another, as there are many ways to get to the same conclusion. It is small moments like this that remind me of the importance of what I do in addition to be an Admission Counselor. It is great to see their minds churning with the ideas of the options they have.

These ladies are full of potential and I cannot wait to see them surpass it.

No comments:

Post a Comment