Monday, January 3, 2011

My Family



When I was younger, I always wondered how I ended up with the family I have. I love them, but something just wasn't right. Why couldn't I choose my family? Come on, now. You know you've wondered the same thing at least once. Who chooses you to share the same DNA?

As I grew older, I understood family many times went further than your "kin-folk." I was getting older, wiser, and choosing the people who were important in my life. I had friends, who understood and cared for me. Hmmmm... Is this my chance to "choose" my family? It is. It has taken me a lot of time to realize it, but with my friends I have created an extension to my family.

Those who are my true friends, and fall into this family list, are the ones that are there through it all. Yes, we may fight and argue, but there is a love behind it all. We are there for each other through good and bad times. We laugh, we cry, we sing, and even sit in silence. It's just the pure knowledge of knowing you are safe with these people makes it wonderful.

When I moved to the Boston area in 2005, I knew 3 people, and only one was a true friend. I took a leap moving to a place four hours from my family. In that time, I have learned what true friendship is. Friendship is that which becomes family, where it is thicker than water. We see each other as family and with each of us comes the dynamic of our biological family. The connection we have goes beyond, and they are people who chose me and I chose them back. Though my parents only had one other child, I have sisters and brothers from a variety of places who have different experiences. We may be more diverse than the Jolie-Pitts, lol!


I am BLESSED! to have all/both families. I am more grateful that I realize their importance and love. Think about the extended family in your life. They are there, you just have to open your eyes and arms and embrace them. I'm glad I did, because they have all added joy to my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment