Wednesday, March 9, 2011

RIP Biggie Smalls..14 years

Do you remember where you were when you heard the news about Biggie?

I am a Brooklyn Girl through and through. Not quite a Bed Stuy girl, but it's all Brooklyn Love. Wow it's been 14 years since the hip hop world lost one of the greatest... Christopher "Notorius B.I.G." Wallace... Otherwise known as Biggie Smalls. I have never been the biggest rap fan but I could not help but love Biggie Smalls.

It was Sunday, March 9, 1997. It was my mother's birthday.. and a church day. We woke up and did the Sunday ritual of preparing for church and wishing mom a happy birthday. We got to church and Pastor Griffin was saying a special prayer for the young man Brooklyn lost. It was Pastor Griffin that informed me and my whole family of the loss of Biggie Smalls. He changed his sermon to reach out to the young people in the santuary to learn from this life lesson.

I was so shocked by the news. After church, you could feel the loss even in the elders. The day of his funeral, my parents left me no option but to be at school. I was still living and in order to keep moving, I would need to be in school. Plus they were concerned for our safety. But there were tv's in school for us to watch the service and his last ride through Brooklyn. It was heart warming the connection such a tragedy brought to a borough not known for its softer side.

Thank you Biggie for touching more than you realize. You will be missed and always appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment