Friday, March 4, 2011

You don't know me...

I have to get this off my chest. I am in the middle of working on my project plan for school but had to stop and get this out.

Today, there were communication exchanges between my little cousin (freshly 20 years old), my little brother (24 years old) and well myself (older than the other two). My brother and I do not often see eye-to-eye on well, anything. But today, we agreed on one thing, we wanted to see the best for this cousin and others. Unfortunately, she does not see it.

As I pride myself on the ability to offer access and opportunity to others, how could I not want to do the same from someone I watched grow up. I remember the day she was born. I was happy to have yet another cousin. I reached out to her because I noticed she had nothing productive going on in her life. She then got upset that I asked, because I was too serious about life and put too much pressure on her and a couple of others to be exact. At which point I chuckled because no where in the message was there pressure. I did not acknowledge it, as I wanted her to think about her actions.

Now, if you think that I'm opinionated, you should meet my little brother. He immediately responds to her letting her know that her actions now will effect life later. Her excuses said nothing. He let her know that in order to be successful in life, you have to be doing something useful.

She IMMEDIATELY put up her wall of defense and said she was grown and no one should be questioning her. That my brother and I have put too much pressure and expectations on her. She accused me of taking like too seriously and not enjoying life. She was doing things with her life in August by going to school on the other side of the world, California. I continued to laugh at the immaturity of this girl who thinks she's a woman.

I sit back and allow her to argue with my brother, as he was sharing some incredible information with her. But I sat up when I noticed she then started blaming me for her mistakes. Well, that's when I put the brakes on her and let her know that I only want to see the best for her. If I can help her learn from my own life lessons, that's what I will do. I am not so much concerned about what she chooses to do but how it will effect her life. Though she does not think that I have seen or experienced anything she hs, I will not argue with her. I know what I know. I made it clear to her that because we are family does not mean I have to care but I CHOOSE to care. She then proceeds to say I don't care because I don't check in on her. I laughed because 10 minutes ago, I was too nosey. It felt like I was on the Jerry Springer stage.

Why do I work so hard? I have always worked so hard to set a good example for those younger than me and some older than me. I want them to see hard work gets you to your dreams, freeloading gets you what your benefactor allows you to have. Our goal was to help her see that she can stand on her own two feet. Is that too much? I have worked and continue to work hard to better my own life. So what did I learn from this? As the two sayings go:
"I won't help those who won't and can't help themselves."
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

But ask that 20 year old, I don't know her, care for her, or love her. Honey, if that were the case, would I be arguing with you about the possibilities of your future and then blogging about it?

Whew I feel better. Thanks for listening

No comments:

Post a Comment