Thursday, March 10, 2011

Who deserves to be in college?

Today was a long day, as it is that time of year. But today, I heard something come out of someone's mouth that, well mad me angry as I don't know what. We were discussing offering opportunities to students, and the caliber of the students at a particular school. While having this discussion with someone who has a terminal degree, claims to be dedicated to educating the next generation, and has two children of his own, he made a comment that well, made me stop and pray to myself.

The comment referred to underserved or diamonds in the rough, not deserving to be in college. I know me and I can just imagine the face I made at him that probably said "it's best if you stop talking because you might make me say something you're not going to like." I wear my thoughts on my face. I then bowed my head and asked the Lord to give the strength and not stoop to his level by saying what I really wanted to say.

Yes, admission professionals make decisions each day about what students receive acceptances to their respective institutions, but they are not saying anyone does not deserve a college education if they choose that is what is right for them. It just means their path may be different. For someone who claims to be well-educated, that was the most uneducated comment I have ever heard. Students, people, we all, have some much holding us back, why do we continue to place more barriers in front of those who have a bigger battle than the average student, person?

To that person, EVERY student who wants to go to college, deserves a chance at college. Whether it a post-grad year before going to college, community college, technical school, etc. THEY DESERVE IT! And you can quote me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment