Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday-time

There was a time when Thanksgiving and Christmas were my favorite holidays. It was about being together with family and enjoying the little time that we are able to get in together. Whether it's putting together a train set or teaching my dad how to use his new gadget, it was my favorite time. It was the one time that family sits down for a hearty dinner. My family is southern so you know we had the WORKS! Sports games on every tv in the house. Just fun. To see us all happy and smiling together, even that year I was laid up after surgery and the world was blurry. Thanksgiving and Christmas were my absolute favorites.

I believe these two holidays alone are what sparked my baking skills to unfold into what they are today. I would spend hours with my mother learning how to do this and that and she would leave me to do the baking. When I grew up and moved out, I improved my skills, everything was from scratch, new flavors, tastes, etc. I would stay up all night for days preparing these desserts. This may have been why these were my favorite holidays because I could do the one thing I did that made people smile.

As I get older, holidays become harder. It is no longer what it was of days past. The excitement of food, joy at the table or the appreciation of even the simplest gifts, like my crochets scarves in many colors. Is it that I am just getting older and get more responsibility for the holidays or is it the changing of the guard in my family?!? One may never know. Maybe, one day, I will have an opportunity to create my own family rituals for holidays to make them my own again.

Happy Holidays to ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment